Wallet questions challenged 50yo noob

Hi everyone, this is a stressfull subject for me. I am a mechanical contractor 25 years now but this wallet stuff is spaghetti in my head. I know I have some options if I can just get started this fear will go just need to understand a few things. Ok so when I access the ECW site and it opens in my browser who is the client me or ETC or a 3rd party? Can I DL the site and create a wallet off line? I see I have to save the Json file in my computer what exactly is the json file? Is this my key a copy or the tech a program? So say I titled it ETC for example. If my PC gets hacked file ETC now gets stolen/open and funds gone? Or do I need to learn what to do to encrypt it and password protect it? Can I transfer the whole file to an off line slave drive? if so Will it be copied back to my computer when I access it on the Slave drive later? How do I get rid of it to be safe do I need to be rid of it? Am I overthinking this because at 50 I don’t understand anything here?LOL!

Ok now after all this I do have a spare PC win 7 pro 32bit What are the simplest steps for me to take since it will only be on Line when I need to access a stored wallet. I did DL a JAXX is it safe I hear it got hacked. I would like to get most of my crypto safely off the exchanges.

Anyway if anyone can shed some light here. Is there was a wallet tutorial for computer noobs that would be great. I want to understand this so I can effectively secure my crypto and get anything coming my way for holding, like the Castillo and LTC cash. yeah, LTC soon to fork 10 for1 IDK maybe free money maybe hoax So Thanks in Advance for helping out an old guy

If you really want to have a secure wallet then Trezor (https://trezor.io/) is for you. Jaxx is not safe based from my experience, also it has a lot of bugs not good for a wallet that contains a bunch of coins. Coinomi for Android phones is a good hot wallet, its very user friendly and free to use.

Thanks, as soon as i feel safe with a trezor I may go with it until then I gotta find another way. Every time I go over this things fall into place got an idea to try tomorrow but real soon i will have this part mastered.

My update, I made this so difficult. Anyway The UTC file has to be saved as it is labled otherwise it will not work. This is an encrypted file to be opened in the MCEW site with your password. This is absolutely amazing I was able to send the folder to a remoavable slave drive. I will learn how to use a thumb drive next, soon enough I will have this set in my head. Maybe I start a 50 and over educational video!! LOL!!