Testnet Improvement Proposal [COMPLETED]

The Ethereum Classic Cooperative has committed funding to ETC-based projects and we need help implementing these improvements. Elaine and I will be piloting this project but it’s up to the community to make this a reality!

Please see below on how you can help and earn some ETC in the process :grinning:

If you’re interested please reply to this topic stating your interest and experience!

Proposal

Background

Getting started with the Ethereum Classic testnet is slow for new developers. Initial setup requires running your own local node and mining your own blocks. As a result, new developers interested in ETC have a delay of 1-2 days before they’re up and able to work on ETC-based contracts.

Solution

To address this, ETC needs to run several reliable and geographically distributed nodes with a faucet to provide test ETC to developers. Allowing new developers to deploy test contracts within minutes of writing them.

Specifications

3 geographically distributed nodes (2-3 of which should be running cpu miners)
1-2 independent faucets (point the mining rewards from the miners at the faucets)

Community Involvement

Nodes

3 community members to run a node (+ cpu miner). These users will run the node software of their choice (geth or parity), CPU mine with them on the testnet, and point the mining rewards at the faucet.
Two nodes in the US (one on each coast), and one in South Korea.
Overhead (Server costs): $30/month per server
Compensation: $500

Faucet Programming

1 community member to create a working Testnet Faucet either from scratch or using pre-existing Ethereum faucets. This faucet must use the ETC Morden testnet (not Kovan or other permissioned networks).
Compensation: $100/hr up to 40 hours

1-2 community members to host the Testnet Faucet. The community member that writes the faucet program will need to also host it/demonstrate it is working.
Overhead (Server costs): $10/month per server
Compensation: $500

Payment

All “compensation” will be denominated in ETC as of the spot price at the time of project start.
“Compensation” will be paid once a functioning server/code is provided (as applicable to the above).
All “overhead” costs will be paid in ETC as of the spot price at the time of project start for the first payment, and at the spot price of all subsequent distributions.
“Overhead” costs will be distributed in 1, 2, 3, 9, and 9 month increments as community members reach milestones of providing reliable service.
Existing faucet code that should be able to be modified for ETC. Downside is it is built for Amazon’s rather expensive GPU compute units, this is overkill for a testnet so adjusting it may not be entirely simple. https://github.com/transmute-industries/eth-faucet

11 Likes

Hi,

I currently have a Geth test node up on the east coast and it is currently CPU mining as well.

And I am currently working on having same setup, on the West coast.

I would be more then happy in supplying test nodes on the west coast and east coast.

Thank you.

4 Likes

Can get a cheap OVH Dedi and use Ethereum-Go for a full classic node with mining capabilities. A friend has a dedi on the East coast, I can provision on the West coast via Azure since he intends to take this up. I can also provision a South Korean node on Azure.

Been wanting to set up my own node and get involved with what it takes to make a smart contract for a while, would be a great learning opportunity for me! Thanks.

2 Likes

I have an OVH dedi on the east coast, would be happy to spin up a geth-classic node on it to support the testnet. I find smart contracts pretty interesting and this would be a good way to learn more about them and Ethereum Classic in general. Thanks.

1 Like

http://testnet.epool.io/

–chainid=11111111
–chain=classic

Awesome, I will have to figure out how to point Geth to there and transfer all the ether.

Thanks.

The network currently configured isn’t Morden. shouldn’t etc not have its own test network?

nevermind… got it now. --chain=classic-testnet

1 Like

Hi Everyone,

Looks like we have the following thus far:

Ready to start on a test-net mining node: @bakon and @etherninja

Ready to start on a test-net faucet: @etherninja

TBD: @MatthewCroughan and @Techjar (we only have budget for one of you two unfortunately)

Can you confirm that you’re ready to start and/or already started ahead of project launch? Once you do I will get the funds from ETCCoop and distribute it once the tasks outlined in the original post are completed. Please await my go ahead :slight_smile:. Please also provide ETC addresses. Thanks!

I will be ready by tonight USA Central time to be in full operation.

Currently I’m setting up Geth Mining Nodes in docker, on the East coast, Mid West and West Coast. And they will all be clustered to prevent down times as much as possible.

1 Like

Alright. I’m going to go ahead and request the funding now then. Please keep in mind that that the monthly financing is $30/month. The more servers the better but I want to make sure everyone keeps their budgets realistic.

The compensation portion will be paid according to the spot price of the ETC when I receive it (which will be considered the start of the project).

Funds for this project will be stored here: 0xd053903BBECBb1B829fB5650f4551DA1C5a04597

1 Like

@bakon if you want to set mining to on in geth with author 0x2843c155c51494a684906e386120e8c2582dff5d That way no need to transfer to faucet address.

@MatthewCroughan @Techjar Please also mine with author set as @etherninja’s faucet address above.

Basically set the flag --etherbase 0x2843c155c51494a684906e386120e8c2582dff5d and should be good to go correct?

Yup, that’s correct!

Added ethstats teststats.epool.io

If you want to connect the WSS password is “rockonetc”

That’s Awesome. :slight_smile:

You can now pull a docker image now that will mine on testnet and send funds to the faucet address. morden-49er

Instructions can be found at:
https://hub.docker.com/r/ethereumclassic/etc-geth/

1 Like

Dontpanic: Are so you know, can you use the same chaindata directory between two docker containers?

I’m trying to using --mount type=bind but when I try to run geth in the second container using the same chaindata directory it is unhappy.

Yeah it’s unlikely that would work.