I've sent my ETC/ETH to the wrong address on the wrong network

So you’ve sent your funds to the wrong network? The good news is in most cases they can be recovered. Your first step is to take a deep breath and then determine which of the scenarios below happened.

Sent to the wrong address at an Exchange

In this case the exchange should be able to help you. If you’ve sent your ETC to your ETH deposit address, or your ETH to your ETC deposit address then the exchange will be able to refund it.

What you need to do here is reach out to the exchange and ask them nicely to refund your ETC/ETH or credit it to your account.

In most cases this will take some time as it’s a special request and they may need to take a manual approach to resolving the issue. Just understand and be patient as it’s all you can do.

No one on the forums will be able to refund your ETC/ETH. The network is not designed like that and we’re unable to take any steps on our end to resolve.

Sent my ETC to my ETH address (an address I control); or the opposite, my ETH to an ETC address

Excellent! You can get your funds back. In fact they’ve never actually gone missing and you’ve had control of your ETC all along.

First, a lesson, your ETC/ETH addresses are entirely interchangeable, if you control address 0x8c2E4bAf8b50Ad99413E2d76b30c05675Ec3B2B4 on the ETC network you control the same address on ETH network, and vice-versa.

What you’ll want to do is the following:

• Go to https://mycrypto.com/ or https://www.myetherwallet.com/
  • If you’re trying to get your ETC then select ETC in the top right; if ETH select ETH
  • Now click on “Send Ether & Tokens”
  • Now you’ll access your wallet however you normally do:
    • If it’s a private key unlock it as normal
    • If it’s a hardware wallet then you’ll want to click “Unlock” and select the appropriate “derivation path” as pictured below. If you sent to an ETC address then select the ETC derivation path; if you sent to an ETH address then select the ETH one.
  • Now you can send your ETC/ETH to the “correct” address that you wanted to send it to.

Sent my ETC to the wrong address. I do not control the address, I do not know who owns the address, and it is not an exchange.

Unfortunately in this case there is nothing that can be done, one of the advantages of Cryptocurrencies is that if you own an address you’re the only one who can access it. This is a double edged sword in that if funds go to an address that no one owns then no one can get it back because no one controls it.

4 Likes

I sent 300 ETC to the my ERC20 adress(SNT) on upbit

The details of the transaction are as follows

TXID : 0x3ab41030f5774caafb6f2dea22df6cccd68bfa48bdd1037261ba5a62769a1926
From(Upbit) : 0xc766F4282ba60eBFa4Bc66902F6558DC8318ed52
To(Upbit-my account) : 0x3217DAAd7E87aF036646a8F0F47662c9e6171752

I should have sent ETC to the ETC address, but it was sent to SNT(ERC20) adress.

I know that the ERC20 private key can be used for recovery ETC.
(If ETC Wallet and ERC20(=ETH) Wallet have the same address, can I use the private key of ERC20 Wallet to recover the ETC in ETC wallet?)

I would like to know if it is technically recoverable.

I appreciate any feedback you may have

Yours sincerely.

1 Like

If you sent the etc from a wallet that you control the private keys, then yes you can recover it. Of not, and sent from an exchange. It’s not recoverable

1 Like

Firstly, you shouldn’t lose a bitcoin wallet because of how precious it could be. You can also secure your bitcoin wallet by enabling the two-factor authentication. This is gonna protect your wallet for you with a private password you will generate yourself. So in case there’s external source tryna get in or in a case of hack, you get alerted immediately. Also, try and use the licensed and regulated exchange such as coinbase, binance, bitrex and the likes. Lastly, I never believed in bitcoin retrieval cos I felt and was made to understand it’s not possible. But sometimes last year I fell for a binary option scam which promised a higher return and I lost close to $75,000. I read an article on here as regards a recovery expert and genius so I reached out and to my surprise I got all bitcoins recovered within 12 hours. I don’t know if I’m allowed to share the links on here but you can message me privately and you can try to reach out to him on cheng66@protonmail.ch

1 Like